Whether you are hoping to shed some extra Holiday weight or looking for a fun and unique workout for the New Year, try this 20 17 workout!
This total body workout has a mix of cardio and strength exercises geared to get your heart pumping and muscles burning!
Do the cardio exercise for 20 seconds immediately followed by 17 reps of the strength exercise in each set. Perform each set 3 times. Complete all 10 sets, OR if you’re short on time, pick and choose your favorites!
Warm up by preforming one or more of these exercises for at least 3 minutes- jog in place, quick front toe taps, jump rope (without a rope)
- Cardio- Jumping Jacks– From standing position, jump to a position with your legs out wide and hands overhead, then return to a standing position with your feet together and arms at your sides.
- Strength- Squats– Holding a medium to heavy dumb bell in each hand at the sides of your thighs, stand with your feet hip width apart, and toes forward. Bend your knees into a squat. Keeping your chest up and your body weight in your heels, stand back up pushing up through your heels and squeezing your glutes.
- Cardio- Fast Feet- Standing with feet wider than shoulder width apart and a slight bend in knees, quickly run in place.
- Strength- Upright Rows- Holding a dumb bell in each hand with palms facing you, bring dumb bells up along body to chest height, elbows come out wide no higher than shoulders. Slowly lower weights back down.
- Cardio- High Knees-While standing, bring one knee up, then back down. Alternate knees as quickly as possible
- Strength- Pushups- In plank position (on your toes or knees), bend elbows to lower your body down, press through your palms to straighten elbows and bring your body back up.
- Cardio- Skaters- Start in a shallow squat position. Jump sideways to the left using your right leg and landing on your left foot. Keep your left knee bent. Bring your right leg behind to your left ankle. Switch sides using your left leg to jump to the right and bring your left leg behind your right ankle.
- Strength- Biceps Curl- Using medium to heavy dumb bells, start with hands at either side of your thighs with palms facing forward. Bend your elbows to bring the dumb bells slowly to the fronts of your shoulders, then slowly lower them back down.
- Cardio-Burpees- From standing position, squat down with your hands on the ground. Kick your feet back into a plank position. Quickly jump your feet back into a squat and explode up!
- Strength- Lunges- Holding a heavy dumb bell in each hand at sides of your thighs, start in standing position with feet hip width apart. Take a big step backwards, bend knees to 90° lowering body straight down, push back up through heel of front foot to straighten knees and return to standing position. Alternate legs.
- Cardio- Gate Swings- Start in wide squat. Jump to bring your legs together, crossing your right leg closely in front of your left, and landing on your toes. Immediately, jump your legs back out, landing in a wide squat. Now, jump to bring your legs together, crossing your left leg closely in front of your right, and landing on your toes. Immediately, jump your legs back out, landing in a wide squat.
- Strength- Bent Over Rows- Stand with feet hip width apart holding a dumb bell in each hand with palms facing you. Bend your torso forward hinging at your hips and keeping your back flat. The dumb bells should hang directly below your shoulders. Raise your elbows up to bring the dumb bells to your chest, squeezing your shoulders blades towards your spine. Then, lower the dumb bells back down slowly, with control.
- Cardio- Plank Jacks- Starting in plank position, jump feet apart then back together.
- Strength- Triceps dips- In a tabletop position with elbows facing behind you and fingertips facing heels, bend elbows to lower yourself down. Push through the heels of your palms to straighten elbows.
- Cardio- Mountain Climbers- In plank position, bend one knee towards your chest then back out into plank. Alternate knees as quickly as possible.
- Strength- Plank Side Knees Ins- In plank position, bring your right knee out wide to the right and forward towards your elbow, contracting your right oblique (side abdominal muscle). Then return to plank position. Alternate knees.
- Cardio- Bicycle Crunches- Lie flat on the floor with your fingertips lightly behind ears. Bring one knee in towards your chest, while lifting your opposite shoulder blade off the ground. Rotate torso toward knee. Be sure not to pull on your neck. Then switch knees and rotate torso the opposite way.
- Strength- Crunches- Lie flat on the floor with your fingertips lightly behind ears, knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Using your upper abdominals raise your shoulder blades off the floor, sliding your rib cage towards your hips, then lower back down.
- Cardio- Superman Flutter – Lie on your stomach with your hands out in front of your head. Raise your chest and thighs off the ground and vertically flutter your arms and legs.
- Strength- Superman Thigh lift– Lie on your stomach with your hands under your chin. Bend your knees to 90 degrees, keeping the insides of your heels together. Lift your thighs off the ground squeezing your butt, then lower back down.